As the sustainable management for NWFPs in Europe is a wide and complex topic, this Action will be organized using a matrix approach with four Working Groups (WGs) and four cross-cutting Task Forces (TFs). A task force (TF) will be a unit established to work on a single defined Action research task. WGs are responsible for the Action’s work according to the NWFP types and TFs will ensure the integration of the work to be produced by the WGs according to the planned research tasks. The Working Groups to be created will be as follows:
- Working Group 1: Mushrooms and truffles (WG1)
- Working Group 2: Tree products (WG2)
- Working Group 3: Understory plants (WG3)
- Working Group 4: Animal origin (WG4)
Common work to be carried out by all WGs in this Action:
- a database of European NWFPs. The European non-wood forest products (NWFPs) network intends to make available online a database of European NWFPs. A prototype of the database is already available to provide an idea of what this database might look like and by doing that to facilitate a decision on its final format to be made when the Action will entry into force. This database offers challenges both for the variety of products that are included within NWFP and by the heterogeneous information available amongst those products. NWFPs diversity might imply that, despite a common structure is aimed for each product across the database, specific fields might be required depending on NWFP type. Concerning the unbalanced distribution of knowledge amongst NWFPs it is expected that a minimum of information to be defined will be necessary so that a product might be listed in this database. In addition, some products have already too much information to be presented in a single NWFP database description. In such cases link will be provided for other pages within NWFP network or for external sources as well as a list of relevant publications about it shall be provided. When the first beta version of the database will be available online more information will be provided to facilitate an easy access to its information contents.
- a database of European NWFPs stakeholders. This database intends to provide an online platform for NWFPs stakeholders. People with a common interest on European non-wood forest products can use this database for networking. This database might not be used just for active Action members but also by NWFPs stakeholders that might not actively be involved in the research being carried out by this Action. Therefore, apart from database groups created for the Action research groups others might be created to facilitate networking amongst NWFP stakeholders.
- proceedings of an international conference to be organised in the final year of the Action;
- a book on “Sustainable management of European non-wood forest products” summarising the main findings and conclusions of the Action , which will be carried out with the support from all existing Action WGs and TFs. During the first year of the Action the contents of this book shall be agreed so it can be clearly defined on what shall be published in this book or in review papers or reports and who is taking responsibility for which kind of contribution in order to allow a sound collaboration between the working groups.