The aim of the Action is to build a multidisciplinary European-wide network of NWFP researchers and managers, who will review current knowledge, highlight existing innovation, share information, identify research topics, seek research synergies and generally increase European knowledge about NWFP ecology, modelling, management and economics.
Specific objectives of this Action are:
- to identify and describe existing NWFPs for the major types of forest ecosystems in Europe;
- to review knowledge on NWFPs ecology and the potential threats or changes that might be expected for each group of NWFP in relation to climate change across Europe;
- to compile existing data and models on NWFPs, identifying gaps in data and devising new protocols for NWFP data collection and modelling;
- to conceptualise NWFPs production systems, discussing the management of NWFPs in relation to traditional forest management systems for timber production and advancing towards an integrated forest management considering the MSFM paradigm;
- to address the economics, social/cultural aspects, tenure rights and legal frameworks of NWFPs including valuation, marketing, and policies, as well as, their role for the Green Economy.
- to highlight existing innovation on NWFPs and their production systems in Europe within the work to be carried out by the Action Working Groups and Task Forces.